Simple Ways to Lower Your Business’ Electricity Prices in Vancouver BC
Electrical bills are a major business expense. Even though consumers in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, Surrey, and Langley benefit from reasonably priced electricity, the bills can still add up. Small changes in your business can result in lower costs on an on-going basis. A few simple steps can keep your energy bill reasonable on an on-going basis.
Energy Audit Basics
- Prioritise an energy audit. An energy audit is invaluable for bench-marking your energy usage and identifying possible improvements. Funding may even be available from BC Hydro to assist certain businesses in paying for an energy audit.
- Install lighting controls. Motion and occupancy sensors ensure that lights don’t stay on when no one is in the room. Dimmer switches mean you’ll only use as much light as you need. Use lighting controls to save by solving that on-going problem in homes and businesses both: Who forgot to turn off the light?
- Update your lighting. Overhead fluorescent lighting is a major driver of energy costs. Update from older 1.5 inch bulbs to newer 1 inch bulbs for reduced costs with no loss in performance. The 1 inch bulbs warm the room less too, so you’ll save on air conditioning when summer comes.
- Reign in electricity-guzzling office equipment. Target older appliances for replacement with newer, more efficient varieties. When choosing a new appliance, look for Energy Star certified models. Always turn off appliances at the end of the day or when not in use for an extended period.
- In an industrial business, consider updates to the industrial process. A more energy efficient industrial process may be available and may pay for itself in energy savings.
- Insulate, insulate, insulate. Remember when your mother used to tell you to close the door and stop heating the great outdoors? Mom was right, and poor insulation wastes money for heating in the winter and cooling in the summer. Seal cracks, double glaze windows, and look for places that heated air escapes in the winter or cooled air escapes in the summer.
- Make a plan. A plan outlining your current use and laying out changes to reduce usage could be one of the most important investments your business makes this year.
Get Professional Electrical Help from a Vancouver Electrician
Could your business benefit from a lower electricity bill, and you’d like an audit, or assistance in making changes to your electrical system? Pro Ace offers qualified electricians to businesses throughout Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, and Langley. Contact Pro Ace and arrange to speak to an electrician who is an expert in business electrical systems and can get all your questions answered.
Call Pro Ace at 604-293-3770 to discuss any electrical concerns.